The Big Uneasy: Katrina’s Unsung Heroes
“You can’t just hope for the best.” – from the DVD
This DVD provides a firsthand perspective (from nursing home management and staff who provided care for residents before, during, and after Hurricane Katrina) on the emergency planning and staff interaction techniques that worked best during that crisis. These practical “lessons learned” insights will help other residential care providers to improve the scope and effectiveness of their emergency preparedness plans.
• Deciding to evacuate or shelter in place
• Risks and considerations when moving the elderly
• Accommodating medical and assistive device needs
• Communicating with emergency and transportation personnel
• Accounting for food, water, and other needed supplies
• Handling safety concerns with limited or no police protection
Everyone should see this emergency readiness DVD. It will empower both leadership and staff to boost their emergency follow-through, problem-solving, and communication skills during a crisis. Chaptered for segmented viewing.
(This film is also a tribute to the staff of Louisiana’s nursing homes who brought thousands of residents safely through Hurricane Katrina and its aftermath.)
- Purchase DVD
- Purchase DVD (Tax Exempt)